Meeting Minutes

Meeting Agendas/Minutes of 2013-14

Meeting Agenda Sept. 18th, 2013
– Acknowledge the land
– Appoint a minute-taker (and explain process)
– Go around/Introductions

– Upcoming Events:
– Sept. 25th KWIC/ST Open House
– Sept. 26th Town Hall on Line 9
– Oct. 1st Teach-in on the tar sands and Line 9 (partnership between TUNA and Sustainable Trent)
Oct. 16th Tar Sands Reality Check Tour in the Great Hall
Oct. 19th bus to NEB hearings protest

– Report-backs from Working Groups
– Training: Anti-Oppression & Consensus Decision Making
– Website
– T-shirts
– Brainstorm: What can we achieve as a group?
– Social/Open mic?
– Wrap-up

Meeting Minutes September 18 2013

New Events:

Friday September 20 6-9pm OPIRG Boycott Aramark BBQ at Sadleir House: https://www.facebook.com/events/145730012303887/

Sunday September 22 Climate Change Rally 11am-12pm in Millennium Park: https://www.facebook.com/events/206767822823797

Wednesday September 25th 11am-2pm KWIC Open House Wednesday

Thursday September 26th 6-8:30pm at Town Hall Line 9 Meeting and Community Letter writing to National Energy Board: https://www.facebook.com/events/212435058925913/

October 1st Line 9 Teach In By Vannesa Gray in the Tipi by Gzowski

October 16th Tar Sands Reality Check Tour in the Great Hall

October 19th Line 9 protest at National Energy Board Hearings-hopefully will be getting transport from Peterborough to Toronto and back: https://www.facebook.com/events/231888730295797/

Discussion:
Ordering Sustainable Trent shirts
Workshops: anti oppression, activism training
Boycott Aramark Event?
Solar panel campus installation working group?
Student Center Sustainability Event?

Working Groups:
Divestment
Food Issues
Waste Management
Line 9

Contact Sustainable Trent if you want to sign up for any of these groups or have a group you would like to create.

Funding Proposals:

Exxon Hates Your Children Ad 200$ funding to get on national TV, watch the ad here: https://louder.is/campaigns/459-get-exxon-hates-your-children-on-tv

Divestment advertisements in the Arthur and Examiner

Next meeting:
Vote on Exxon ad funding proposal
Media Coordinator still needed
Website needs updating
Appoint leaders for each working group that can report back during general meeting and keep updates on working group agenda, plans, events

Contact Sustainable Trent if you have any questions comments, or concerns

Agenda – Sept. 25th, 2013

– Acknowledge the Land
– Appoint a minute taker
– Check-in/Go-around
– Events:
– Sept. 26th: Town Hall on Line 9
– Oct. 1st: Tar Sands Teach-in
– Oct. 10th: Canadian Foreign Aid & the Mining Industry
– Oct. 15th: Maude Barlow – tabling??
– Funding options:
– Peterborough Greenspace Coalition
– Documentary on pipeline resistance
– Exxon Hates Your Children – ad
– Working Group Updates: Divestment, Waste, Line 9, Food Issues
– Positions: Media, Recruitment, Volunteer, Website Coordinators
– Group planning session: Boycott Aramark meal!!
– New business
– Check-outs

Minutes Sept. 25th, 2013

Attendance: Lawrance, Danielle, Monica, Andrea, Andrew, Vanessa, Brad, Matthew, Emma, Jared, Calvin, Ben, Sophia, Nick, Julian

Coming Events

1. Line-9 Town Hall
Thursday, September 28th, Peterborough Public Library at 6:00pm

2. Tar Sands Teach-In
October 1st, 5:00 pm at the tipi (which tipi?). Food will be provided by Mama Bear’s Kitchen.

* Sustainable Trent has voted to support the event in the amount of $100 (50% the cost).

3. Canadian Foreign Aid regarding Mining Operations (gives money to countries to exploit their resources through mining)
October 10th, 7-9pm at Market Hall

4. Maude Barlow, of Council of Canadians, will be presenting a talk on water.
October 15th, 7-9pm at Market Hall

Issues debated
1. Peterborough Coalition for Green Space – an amalgamation of independent environmental groups looking to fight development to protect our green spaces. They are currently striving to fight the possibility of a freeway cutting through Jackson Park, and the creation of a road that will destroy a scenic bike route.
They requested funding for advertising through pamphlets and other such things to raise awareness. A documentary is currently in production and one person in charge has asked that $700 be the amount. We at Sustainable Trent agreed to hold off on any donations until more people become informed. A suggested donation was $500.
Suggestions for advocating green space included:
a. creating a seminar-type event on the importance of these patches of land in cities.
b. inviting one of the members of Peterborough Green Space Coalition to our meetings.
2. Exxon Hates Your Children advertisement: We’ve agreed to return to this topic one week from now so as to have more active members to vote.
3. Boycott Aramark: It was suggested to be planned primarily by the Food Issues working group. A meeting on this event is scheduled for this coming Monday September 30th at 5:00 pm in KWIC.
4. Discussion Panel on Divestment: On November 11th at 3:00 pm at (location to be announced) there will be a panel that will be discussing the divestment movement.
5. Sustainable Trent presence on campus. A suggestion was made where members of Sustainable Trent should write to Arthur about the divestment campaign from a more ‘newsy’ angle. This is to keep people interested and make it meaningful.
6. Possible Meeting Change: There have been several suggestions regarding meeting times.
a. One suggestion involved having two meetings – one on Monday and the other on Wednesday. The Monday could be a planning day to plan events or to make decisions on certain activities. The Wednesday would be our general meeting which would also include updates on working groups.
b. Another suggestion was that we have two meetings in a single Wednesdayday: one at 11 am, and the other at 6 pm.
c. A variation of this suggestion was that there would be alternating meeting times on Wednesday: one week would be at 11 am, and the next would be at 6 pm.
On two separate meetings: A complication to this was brought up regarding consensus-based voting where if there were two different meetings and one group voted against a proposed idea, and the other voted for it, there would be a constant back-and-forth of voting which would make it very hard to get things done.
7. Working Group Updates: Divestment Working Group – looking to do some promoting of the issue around campus and promote other relevant events.

Minutes October 2nd, 2013

Liz, Calvin, Nick- small turnout

Events:
Oct 2 (today) Sadleir House 6-8pm- Workshop on how to build an effective campaign for social change. Hosted by Juilan and Calvin: https://www.facebook.com/events/629423553765115/
Oct 7 6pm at City Hall Idle No More March for National Day of Action. Walk will end at Little Lake: https://www.facebook.com/events/588182317909622/
Oct 10 7-9pm Market Hall 140 Charlotte St- Canadian Foreign Aid: Exploring the relationship between development and the mining industry – still need volunteers for tabling: https://www.facebook.com/events/415775718527559/
Maude Barlow talk Oct 15th-Nick and Jared said they would table?
Oct 16 Tar Sands Reality Check Tour-please join the event on Facebook and invite all your friends!: https://www.facebook.com/events/548995795170435/
Oct 19 at Toronto Metro Convention Center- Line 9 Protest. Bus from Peterborough to Toronto and back still in works but likely will go ahead: https://www.facebook.com/events/231888730295797/

Funding decisions:
Peterborough Greenspace Coalition $500 funding approved-according to emails and past meetings
Exxon Hates Your Children ad and Heather Milton Lighting expenses for Climate Symposium voting postponed due to lack of voting members at meeting and vague consensus on agreement from past meetings

Working Group Report Back:
Divestment: Ben and Calvin worked on poster for glass display by Wenjack. Still needs to be painted.
Food Issues: Boycott Aramark planned for October 30th in collaboration with Trent Oxfam. Official details to be released soon. Looking for people willing to bring food for potluck. Looking for 350$ to fund event from Sustainable Trent to pay for catering-vote next week or less depending if Trent Oxfam puts money towards event as well.
Waste: no working group members to report back
Line 9: Community Letter event the library went well. We had a good turn out and a good discussion and also put together a letter we will be sending to the National Energy Board.

New business:
Positions still need appointing
Website needs updating
Nick will send documents out regarding official positions and descriptions
Assign leaders for working groups to report back at general meetings!
Possible talk at Trent from Peterborough Greenspace Coalition

Agenda Oct. 9th, 2013

– Acknowledge the land
– Appoint a minute-taker
– Go-around/Check-in
Events:
– Oct. 10th – Canadian Foreign Aid & the Mining Industry – tabling
– Oct. 15th – Maude Barlow – tabling
Funding Decisions:
– Sponsorship of Maude Barlow event
– Exxon Hates Your Children
– Heather Milton Lightening expenses for Climate Symposium
Working Group Report-backs
– Boycott Aramark/Food Issues
– Divestment
– Waste
– Line 9
Positions: any takers?
– Website: key priority
– New business
– Check-outs

Meeting Minutes October 9, 2013

Attendance
Calvin, Julian, Andrew, Vanessa, Brad, Shelly (Environmental Advisor back from Maternity leave!), Justyn
Upcoming events
Oct 12 11am PCVS parking lot March Against Monsanto Peterborough: https://www.facebook.com/events/450401541745802/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular
Oct 15 7pm Market Hall “Blue Future” Book Tour by Maude Barlow: https://www.facebook.com/events/577037312359160/
Oct 16 7pm Great Hall Champlain College Tar Sands Reality Check Tour: https://www.facebook.com/events/548995795170435/
Oct 19 8:45am Shoppers Drug Market parking lot Free Bus to and from Line 9 protest in Toronto: https://www.facebook.com/events/1392235677678078/
Funding Proposals
Julian Proposed ST sponsors $100.00 to the upcoming Maude Barlow event. – approved by all attended members
Julian proposed ST to donate $500.00 to Heather Milton Lightening (Reality Check Tour Panelist) to support her travel funding. – approved by all attended members
Julian proposed: ST donating $500.00 to Seasoned Spooned weekly workshops – approved by all attended members
News
Tar Sands Reality Check Tour posters are now available-if anyone wants to help poster there is some left in KWIC office on barrel
No Line 9 rally bus check-in
• Flyers- Vanessa
• Facebook event – Julian
Exxon Video funding – Dropped
Updates from Working Groups
Food Issues- Brad
• Food Not Bombs on board with Boycott Aramark
• Booking great hall in Champlain
Updated Shelly on food services
Waste Management- Brad
• Possible garbage clean-up on Mondays
• Partnership with Trent RAGS
Website Update Needed
• Need someone to volunteer to update – Shelly looking into it
• Possibly looking into web designer in town?
• Need to come up with a total cost and content for website

Agenda Oct. 16th, 2013

– Acknowledge the land
– Appoint a minute-taker
– Check-in
Events:
– Oct. 16th – Tar Sands Tour
– Oct 19th – Bus to Line 9 protest in Toronto
Peterborough Greenspace Coalition – ST representative?
Working Group Report-backs
– Boycott Aramark/Food Issues
– Divestment
– Waste
– Line 9
– Positions: any takers?
– Website: key priority
– New business
– Check-outs

Agenda Oct. 30th, 2013

– Acknowledge the Land
– Appoint a minute-taker
– Check-ins
– Upcoming Events:
Climate Symposium, Nov. 8th and 9th
Divestment Panel, Nov 11th
– Report-backs from Working Groups
– Divestment
– Food Issues
– Waste Management
– No Line 9
– ST Mission/Vision Statement
– Annual General Meeting – planning committee
– New business

Minutes October 30, 2013

Attended: Andrea, Brad, Shelley, Nick, Calvin, Colleen
Acknowledgement of the land
Upcoming events
– Divestment panel – Nov. 11 @ 3pm, BL B103
 Send out facebook invite to event
 People on pro panel: Stephen Hill, Julian. People on con panel: Investment guy (hope to get a Prof or student)
 Hope to get media coverage
 Design a poster -> Brad volunteers to design and email it to ST
– Climate Change Symposium – Nov. 8+9 @ 8:30pm – 4pm?
 Tabling at this event?
– “Do The Math” movie – Nov. 18th
 Need to poster/Wenjack lecture announcements if no postering
– Boycott Aramark tonight at 5:30-7pm in Great Hall
Working Groups
Food
– Boycott Aramark name issue
– Aramark is trying local food days (4/month), need to work with new contract if developed, Aramark needs sustainability pushed into new contract
– FNB doesn’t need money ASAP, but will upcoming
– Need to pay caterers
– Trent Oxfam will front money
Official voting to fund Boycott Aramark: 200$ – Rachelle FNB, 350$ – Dan Lagault, 200$ – green dishes. Unanimous vote to go ahead.
Waste Management
– Composting awareness
– Community compost pile idea – considered not liable due to need for permit
Line 9
– rally went well, a lot of media coverage, Enbridge submitted final proposal in writing instead of rescheduling final day of hearing
– idea to purchase 2 days of hearing footage for 100$/day brought up
Other Business
– The poster to be put in display case needs to be painted sometime next week (glass case was given to ST under circumstance it is up to date and used)
– Idea of changing ST’s name brought up – needs to be brought up continuously over the next month
– Annual General Meeting – public event to tell people what ST is and how it works – workshops, talking circles for input suggested – should happen soon
– Send out another doodle poll for people who wish to seriously attend ST
– Involvement in University’s sustainability policy – bring it up at new meeting after new doodle poll created (campus wide items such as: fair trade, bottle free)

Agenda Nov. 6th, 2013

– Acknowledge the Land
– Minute-taker
– Check-in
Upcoming Events:
– Climate Symposium, Nov. 8 & 9 – tabling
– Divestment Panel: Nov. 11th, 3 pm
Financial decision: NEB hearings video recording
Campaign Updates:
– Divestment
– Boycott Aramark/Food Justice: discussion on effective wording/messaging
– Waste Management
– Line 9
– No Parkway
Other issues:
– ST Mission/Vision Statement, and question of changing our name
– Website!
– Annual General Meeting – planning committee?
– New business
– Check-outs

Minutes November 6th, 2013

Attendance: Calvin, Julian, Laura, Shelley, Justin, Andrea, Colleen

Upcoming events:
Climate Change Symposium: https://www.facebook.com/events/1467526933472449/
Divestment Panel: https://www.facebook.com/events/1377424075833774/
Parks Not Parkway Concert: https://www.facebook.com/events/420601261395848/?ref=br_tf

Line 9:
NEB video recording $100 a day for 2 days-approved

Divestment:
Divestment panel
Do the Math film screening planned for week of November 18th
Julian and Calvin are presenting to Board of Governors January 31st
Colleen will stay after meeting and paint poster for glass display

Food issues:
Boycott Aramark meal was a success!!
discussion continued on Boycott Aramark is appropriate name. Suggestions were food alternatives meal or Boycott Corporate/Unhealthy food meal. Discussion will continue later.

Waste issues:
ST could team up with Trent RAGS-check them out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/523425677735963/

Parks not Parkways:
Volunteers still needed
City Council meeting 13th and 20th at Evinrude Center can call City Hall at 705 742 7777 to speak on 20th
Concert for Greenspace Nov 17th

New business:
AGM meeting planned for next year
Open House/Creative fun event at Sadleir House planned for next year
Talk of changing name/mission statement-Julian will contact TCSA

Agenda Nov. 11th, 2013

– Acknowledge the Land
– Appoint a minute-taker
– Check-ins
Upcoming events:
– Divestment Panel – 3 PM, BL 103
– Do the Math screening?
– Jackson Park meetings: Nov. 13 & 20
– Concert for Greenspace: Nov. 17
– Sadleir House Pub Night: February 6th
Campaigns:
– Divestment
– Food Issues
– Waste/Lug a Mug
– Parkway
– New business

Agenda Nov. 18th, 2013

– Acknowledge the Land
– Minute taker
– Check ins
Upcoming events:
– Do the Math screening: Nov. 18th 7 pm
– Parkway meeting: Nov. 20th, 6:30 pm
Campaign updates:
– No Parkway
– Divestment; debrief from panel
– Waste
– Food Justice/Boycott Aramark
– New Business

Minutes November 18th , 2013

Justin, Alex, Nick, Vanessa, Brad, Calvin, Shelly, Julian

Upcoming events:
Do the Math film screening: tonight at Gzowski 108- https://www.facebook.com/events/178570639009583/
Parkway meeting: November 20th 6:30pm Evinrude Center. You can call City Council to register to speak at 705 742 7777 or you can just show up and will be permitted to speak after everyone else who called in

Nick and Tom’s Green Building design workshop
-cost reduced to $250 each for total of $500
-$400 approved for workshop
-Nick and Tom will potentially host workshop at Trent to teach others of skills they acquired

Reframe Film Festival
-Julian sent out more details
-cost is $300 a movie
-total contribution of $500 ($250 for 2 movies) considered
-discussion will continue next week

Lug a mug
-Shelley got lug a mug tickets
-Colleen is willing to take on project but could use help if interested
-Lug a mug is campaign where you give some one ticket for a free coffee/drink if you see them using a reusable mug

Food issues
-Nick would like to plan next potluck meal soon

Butterfly garden
-email was sent asking if anyone was interested in helping make a butterfly garden at Trail College

Divestment
-$150 (maximum) approved to promote divestment petition on Facebook via Sustainable Trent facebook page
-Calvin will look into details for advertisement in Peterborough examiner-will vote on next week
-advertisement package brought up includes 10 days in Peterborough Examiner and Northumberland today as well as 30 days online on Examiner website-prices start at $125

Agenda Nov. 25th, 2013

– Acknowledge the Land
– Appoint a minute-taker
– Check-ins
– Reframe Films
Campaigns:
– Divestment
– Food Issues
– Waste/Lug a Mug
– Parks not Parkways
– Declaration on Climate Change
– Use of funds for project
– New business

Minutes November 25th 2013

Attendance: Julian, Calvin, Matt, Brad, Erin, Colleen, Nick
Reframe Film Sponsorship (Julian)
• Based on votes “No food no land no life” and “More than Honey”
Divestment Updates (Calvin)
Screening of “Do the Math”
• Good turnout with lots of people interested in getting involved in the campaign
• Hoping to have a meeting next week related to:
o Printed petitions and posters to distribute to towns downtown
o Hoping to get endorsements from certain groups
Advertising for the campaign
• Sponsored post for petition on Facebook
o Over 20,000 people saw it and 50 people liked it and many people signed the petition
o Helped to boost the likes on Sustainable Trent
o Cost of approx 70 dollars
• In contact with the local newspaper (Examiner) to see what the options are for print advertisements.
• As of right now, Facebook seems to be effective, but examiner for community outreach
• Examiner Ad in January
• Calvin proposed to do another Facebook promotion of petition in a few weeks
• Vote to support another Facebook promotion: Passed (Unanimous)
• Goal for the petition: 500 signatures by Board Meeting
Fracking Education Campaign (Nick)
• Will be doing an information advertising campaign
Food Issues and Boycott Aramark Group (no updates this week)
Lug-a-Mug (Colleen)
• “You’ve been mugged” Coupons printed and ready to be distributed
• Aramark is going to give 1.60 (breakeven)
• Planet
• Seasoned Spoon (member price of coffee, 1.67)
• No discount in most places, but that is the norm
Parks Not Parkways
• Occupy Jackson Park Sunday November 24th Didn’t have huge attendance. Supposed to be another gathering next week.
Peterborough Declaration for Climate Change
• Organized by Sustainable Peterborough
• Discussion of whether or not to sign as Sustainable Trent
• Can read more about the petition and sign it here: https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/SOCIETAL_AND_POLITICAL_RECOGNITION_OF_THE_URGENT_NEED_FOR_ACTION_ON_CLIMATE_CHANGE/?copy
• “PETERBOROUGH DECLARATION ON CLIMATE CHANGE, Nov. 2013 We call on:  Individuals, organizations, businesses and governments to move vigorously and strategically towards more resilient and sustainable communities in all their actions, plans and policies.  Politicians and staff to integrate the existing and evolving Peterborough Sustainability Plan into all municipal planning decisions.  Citizens to require their politicians and other representatives at municipal, provincial, and national levels, to change “business as usual” thinking, and adopt pro-active policies such as the imposition of a carbon tax, and local economic development for essential life services.”
• Vote on whether or not to sign/ support the petition as Sustainable Trent: Passed (Unanimous)
• Calvin will contact Sustainable Peterborough about supporting the Petition
Use of large project funds
• Approximately 6000 dollars available
• Funding Ideas
o Solar panels : For Spoon, for Student Centre
o Solar hot water heaters
o Provide funding for Parks not Parkways
o Greenhouses: Proposals needed
• Steps moving forward
o (Erin) Talk to Seasoned Spoon related support for solar power/needs
o (Matt) Contact Sustainable Agriculture Society re: Greenhouse proposals
o (Erin) Contact Melanie Buddle re: what she needs for Greenhouse proposal
Sustainable Building Report Update (Nick)
• Was able to attend workshop on Sustainable Building over the weekend
• Looking to see how to apply what he’s recommended into recommendations/ report for the student centre.
• Will be preparing a workshop/info session for Trent community
Kawartha Loons Discussion

Agenda Dec. 2nd, 2013

– Acknowledge the Land
– Minute-taker
– Check-ins
– President’s Office Hours
Campaign Updates:
– Divestment: advertisements, petitions
– No Parkway
– Boycott Aramark
– Lug a Mug
Greenhouse project
– Next Steps: Action Items over holidays
– Website
– New business
– Next meeting time

Minutes December 2, 2013

1. President’s Open Forum: Wednesday, December 4th, 1-2:30 pm at the Ceilie. This is a chance to
talk to the president about anything you could possibly want.
2. Divestment ads: basically talked about three different kinds of newspaper ads: big box, tall box
and skyscraper (Calvin has the details). Decided that promoting the petition on facebook is the most
economical way to advertise, along with free, in-person advertising
3. Advertising Sustainable Trent on Facebook: We proposed the idea of buying ‘likes’ which will
make Sustainable Trent more visible to other people. $150 approved for sponsoring ST on
facebook to gain more likes
4. Aamjiwnaang Solirdarity – brought to you by Vanessa Gray, the idea was to create awareness of
the harsh living conditions that the Aamjiwnaang people are enduring being next to Sarnia’s
Chemical Valley by creating a website. Julian created the website as part of a class project. The
website will cost $26/year to run. This was voted on and those present have approved the idea.
5. Re-creating the Sustainable Trent Website: An idea to create a whole new Sustainable Trent
website was posited. It is possible to create a website using WordPress and the domain would be $26/
year to run. $26 a year website cost approved. Julian will work on this over the holidays – deleting
the old website and creating a new one with WordPress.
6. Next Boycott Aramark/Free Alternative Food event. Meeting to plan it will be Thursday, Dec. 5th
at 5 pm at KWIC
7. Sustainable Trent PUB NIGHT! Is scheduled for February 6th, 2014 at Sadleir House around 9:30
pm.
8. NO PARKWAY! There’s been news of many city folk wanting to run for council and have asked
that they be supported by organizations like Sustainable Trent. It’s not known if they want money or
just people want to give them moral support.
It’s been said that Trent students can vote on matters that concern the city if they have been in
Peterborough for at least 30 days, and have proof of address.
There’s also an environmental assessment (EA) occurring for the Parkway and there are only 45 days
left for comments. I’m not sure what the website is for the EA.
9. Greenhouse Initiative: the plan to get another greenhouse on campus for easy access to locally
grown food is in the works still. Planning on getting it established on Gzowski property. An idea to
contact Tom Whillans, the prof in charge of ‘Greening the Campus’ course, to oversee/provide input
for the project was suggested. Alex and Calvin said they may seek him out.
10. Biogas Digester Idea! Was estimated to be too expensive at $1M. However, there was talk that it
could be possible if done in conjunction with the university.
11. Terracycle: you can submit non-recyclable items to them and you can get points for your items.
12. Be happy! Alijazeera.com/earthrise

Minutes January 8th, 2014

1. Divestment Campaign
a. Posters – Calvin has distributed some posters for people to hang up around campus and downtown and anywhere.
b. Film Screening – Students vs. Golliath film screening was proposed to be shown either before or after the Trent Board Of Governors meeting.
c. The Board of Governors Divestment Meeting – scheduled January 31st in the afternoon some time.

2. Boycott Aramark: Feast for Food Justice!
a. Most likely date will be January 23rd at The Gathering Space, 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm. Brad to confirm and alert the crew soon.
b. Need people to volunteer to do dishes, do some promoting before the date, someone to drive OPIRG green dishes. Meeting regarding these responsibilities is scheduled for tomorrow (January 9th) at 4:00 pm at KWIC.
c. Will most likely be a potluck (as well as some catering from local growers) so bring some good food!

3. Food Services Review Committee – a collection of potential food service providers being considered by Trent to explain why they would be a good choice for the university. This will be taking place next week all located in the LEC Pit.
Aramark January 13th @ 9am
Brown’s Dining Solutions, January 14th @ 12pm
Chartwells, January 16th @ 9am
Sodexo, January 17th, @1pm
4. OPIRG Anti-opression workshop for movement building ¬– January 16th in the evening for sure. https://www.facebook.com/events/695436257143043/

5. Reframe Film Festival – January 24-26. We have sponsored two films: More than Honey and No Land NoFood NO Life. Because of this we can have people introduce these two films and perhaps explain what Sustainable Trent is and why we decided to sponsor these.
6. Gasland 2 Peterborough Public Library Janurary 14th 7-9pm

7. PUB NIGHT! February 6th 9pm-12am@ Sadleir House
a. Need to organize (will it be an open mic, casual get-together or a petition party?)
b. Advertise the event
c. DJ? DJ Matthew Liang-Gibbard? Maybe?
d. How will we set up the space? Definitely need some room for dancing!

2. Transition Town Reskilling Institute – The decision to donate $500 to Transition Town for supporting the creation of workshops that promote sustainability has been approved by active members present.

3. Undoing Border Imperialism put on by The Community Race Relations Committee ¬– January 20th at 6:30 pm https://www.facebook.com/events/1450870561800909/
• Want $100 from Sustainable Trent
• Harsha Walia is presenting her book that promotes indigenous solidarity by fighting border imperialism.
4. Powershift Atlantic – Halifax, March 28-31 2014. More information http://www.wearepowershift.ca/powershift_atlantic

5. Environmental Advisory Board – Professor Hill is revamping the organisation to rewrite some of Trent’s environmental policies. Such policies could be that of an alternative investment policy … Meetings to be held once a month …
6. WEBSITE! Check it out here. sustainabletrent.org
7. PARKWAY!? ¬¬¬¬– Students can vote. Proposal to get first years aware of this fact so that they may have a say in municipal affairs.
It is known that the labour council of Peterborough wishes to have a cohesive council that have a common vision for the city. We should all run for council.
8. LINE 9!!! Stop it. Sustainable Trent has a say in the National Energy Board hearings regarding this. A decision will likely be reached sometime in February.

9. Creative ideas for the WAR ON SCIENCE! And DIVESTMENT!
10. Also KWIC AGM January 18th at 7:30pm at Sadleir House with Dub Trinity!
11. Clubs and Groups day January 16th Gzowski atrium stop by and say hello!

Agenda Jan. 15/14

– Acknowledge the Land
– Minute-taker
– Go-around/check-in

Upcoming Events:

– Food Forums: Thurs. @ 9: Chartwells. Fri. @ 1: Sodexo. LEC Pit
– SAFS Gathering: Thurs. Jan. 16 at 8 pm at the White House Hotel
– Boycott Aramark: Feast for Food Justice, Jan. 23, 5:30, Gathering Space

– Undoing Border Imperialism, Reclaiming Citizenship: Community Talk with Harsha Walia and Deepan Budlakoti & CRRC AGM: Mon. Jan. 20, 6:30 – 10 at Sadleir House (8 pm is when the talk begins)

– ReFrame Film Festival, Jan. 24 – 26: Introductions
More than Honey at Showplace: Fri. Jan. 24 at 7:30 pm
No Food No Land No Life at Market Hall: Sun. Jan. 26 at 12:00 pm

– Presentation to Board of Governors on Divestment: Jan. 31st

– Pub Night & Open Mic: Feb. 6th at Sadleir House – need a volunteer to operate the sound equipment – one vocal, one instrumental mic

Other Items:

– Divestment: petitions, advertisements
– Website is ready to be launched! Please share: sustainabletrent,org
– Funding/partnership request from Youth Environment Network
– Environmental Advisory Board

New Business

Minutes January 15th, 2014

1. Land acknowledged
2. Those present: Sarah, Sam, Alex, Shelby, Matt, Brad, Calvin, Julian, Colleen, Nick, Erin
3. Food Forums: Members have attended both Aramark and Browns
a. members will attend and take notes on other forums
b. Most of the information will be put into a report after the feast for food justice
4. Meeting for the sustainable agriculture and food groups at 8pm on January 16th
a. Matt will take minutes from this meeting to send to Sustainable Trent
5. Feast for food justice
a. Sub committee meeting tomorrow @3 in the kwic
b. Event confirmed for Thursday the 23rd at 5:30
c. Postering will occur today
6. Undoing border imperialism
a. Event is on Monday
7. Reframe
a. Proposal to fund the movie “Greedy Lying Bastards” for $100
i. approved
b. Proposal to buy a copy of the three films we are funding
i. approved
c. If anyone is interested in introducing any of the movies we are funding contact
8. Greenspace coalition
a. Candidates meeting at St.Paul Presbyterian @7 on the 29th of January
9. Pub night
a. Theme of fracking approved
b. Nick will bottomline this event with Vanessa and others
10. Powershift
a. Look at partnering with other universities
11. Beehive collective
a. Approved funding for $300 for facilitator and transportation costs
12. Highschool climate change action group
a. Approved funding for $500 for general budget supplementation in order to help a group of Kenner CVI students form a climate change action group.
13. New website
a. Check out the new http://www.sustainabletrent.org!
b. Approved $150 for more facebook advertisement

Agenda Jan. 22/14

– Acknowledge the Land
– Minute Taker
– Check-ins
Upcoming Events:
– Peterborough Greenspace Coalition meetings: Jan. 22 and 29
– Boycott Aramark: Feast for Food Justice, Jan. 23
– ReFrame Film Festival this weekend: 3 film introductions
– Pub Night/Open Mic: Feb.6 – need to plan & promote
Other Items:
– Powershift Atlantic: early bird registration ($30) closes Jan. 24
– Divestment: petitions, endorsements
– New Business

Minutes January 22, 2014

Opening
Stewart, Eric, Dan first time welcome
Green space coalition meetings – one tonight closed
Boycott Aramark meal tomorrow gathering space 530 nice, green dishes, input cards
Reframe
More than honey show place Friday 730
No food no life no land Sunday 12 market hall
Greedy lying bastards Sunday 10 venue
Dan Lague green houses
tccbe Trent courses Andy Creig
Dave Kane geodesic domes 2100$ per house
Looking for help
Proposal for house in gardens, trail, gzowski, Champlain
Facebook group green housing the campus
Contact Shelly Sustainability Coordinator
Pub night open mike Saddler frac off feb 6th
Poster Vanesa, Nick, Brad
Booking bands Nick
West bank blues brothers, Calvin
Powershift Atlantic (Pending)
Board of Governors 31st January next Friday Open event
Report of student center recommendation Nick
ST Website great more people google glorious ascension
Bottle plastic water ban
Anisa IDs conference urbanism Friday 7th trail public library

Agenda Jan. 29/14

– Acknowledge the Land
– Minute-taker
– Check-ins
Upcoming Events:
– Presentation to the Board of Governors on Divestment: Friday at 1 pm
– Pub Night & Open Mic at Sadleir – Frack Off! Feb. 6th at 9pm
– Next Food Justice meal?
– Early Earth Day/Week: Need to start planning/booking spaces
Funding Requests:
– Mi’kmaq warriors speaking tour
Other Items:
– Mission/Vision Statement
New Business

Agenda Feb. 5/14

– Acknowledge the Land
– Minute-taker
– Check-ins
– Update on the Divestment Campaign
Upcoming Events
– Open Mic/Pub Night: Thursday 9-12 pm @ Sadleir House
– Peterborough Water Action Group meeting: Feb. 12, 6:30 – 8:30, likely at Sadleir: Sustainable Trent representative?
– Boycott Corporate Food: March 4
– Early Earth Week: March 10-14
Other Items
– Anti Oppression/Consensus Decision Making Training
– New Mission & Vision Statement
– Vision/Action/Mandate Document
– Powershift Atlantic: application form, call-out, funding, etc.
New Business

Agenda Mar. 19th/14

– Acknowledge the Land
– Minute-taker
– Check-ins
– Powershift: Decisions around funding
Upcoming Events:
– Training: Saturday, March 22nd, 9 am – 6 pm
– Early Earth Week
– Sacred Water Circle: May 2-4: Sending delegates
– Canadian Responsible Investments Conference: May 26-28
Campaigns:
– Divestment: petitions, advertisements
– Stop Line 9
– Parks not Parkways: EA submission
Logistics:
– Positions for next year
– Website

Meeting/Minutes of 2014-15

Meeting Agenda Sept. 9/14

Welcome back, opening remarks, acknowledge land
Appoint minute taker, go over agenda, time

Introductions (name, year, program, if new how you found out about ST and what you want to do with ST, or if experienced member of ST what your experience has been with group and what you want to see this year)

Campaigns:

Divestment:
Overview/update of campaign
-divestment movement; what it is and why it’s effective
-referendum in TCSA election
-petition; over 1000 signatures
-endorsements: TCSA, TPSA, CUPE 3908, OPIRG, TUFA
-Board presentation and decision
Next steps:
-endorsements: TUGS, TUNA, KWIC, TUPS, etc.
-Faculty open letter (students can get profs to sign)
-divestment convergence Montreal Nov 22 weekend; funding for travel, ST representatives

Municipal election:
-when is the election, who’s running, NO Parkway campaign, other issues
-promotional event for progressive candidates/debate
-tabling; collaboration with Peterborough Greenspace Coalition
-bring candidates to school? i.e. Maryam Monsef, Dianne Therrien…

Food Justice:
-Aramark out, Chartwell’s in
-meals, Seasoned Spoon can cater on campus
-Food Services Committee ST representative
-vision for year in terms of food justice events, campaign, other ideas
-student farm

Upcoming Events:
September 10th: Clubs and Groups Day 10am-4pm-need a new cloth for table, who can table and when, pamphlets, banner drop?
September 14th: Display case booked for ST at Bata; ideas- election, divestment
September 24th: KWIC Open house 11am-2pm

Other:
Should climate change warning labels be on gas pumps-guest lecture
-Peterborough Declaration on Climate Change 2014 endorsement

Visioning- new ideas, strategies, connections outreach, new campaigns, working groups

Closing, next meeting time

Agenda Sept. 16/14

Go Around
Acknowledge Land
Appoint Minute Taker

Report Back
-Clubs and Groups day
-Bata Library display case

Upcoming Events
– September 16: OPIRG Free Vegan BBQ @Sadleir House 5:00-8:00 pm
-September 17: Meetup with Maryam Monsef @270 George Street 1-3pm
-September 17: SAFS meet and greet @Wenjack 6-9pm
-September 18: Seed GardenTour @Liftlock Visitors Centre 11am-5pm
-September 20th: Student Activist Assembly @Gathering Space 10:30am-5pm
-September 21st: Purple Onion Festival/Climate Change Rally @Millenium Park. Festival is 11-4pm. Climate change rally is at 1:30pm
September 23rd: OPIRG Consensus Based Decision Making workshop @Sadleir House 6-8pm

Divestment
-TQC and TrentU figure skating endorsements
-new endorsements, faculty signatures?
-debate with Trent Conservatives
-awaiting on formal letter
-divestment 101 workshop

Municipal Election
-all candidates are official
-event in planning

Food Justice

Other
-Vandana Shiva
-ST rep for Peoples Climate March in NYC

Minutes Sept. 16th, 2014

Attendance: Justin, Colleen, Will, Katy, Tiffia, Preetkaur, Solomon, Illana, Daniel, Becca, Abbie, Jasmine, Calvin

Report Back
-Clubs and Groups day went well. Lots of people interested
-Bata Library display case is up

Upcoming Events
– September 16: OPIRG Free Vegan BBQ @Sadleir House 5:00-8:00 pm
-September 17: Meetup with Maryam Monsef @270 George Street 1-3pm
-September 17: SAFS meet and greet @Wenjack 6-9pm
-September 18: Seed GardenTour @Liftlock Visitors Centre 11am-5pm
-September 20th: Student Activist Assembly @Gathering Space 10:30am-5pm
-September 21st: Purple Onion Festival/Climate Change Rally @Millenium Park. Festival is 11-4pm. Climate change rally is at 1:30pm
Barrel to be painted and brought to KWIC for pickup on Thursday
September 23rd: Farmers Market @Bata Library 9am-1pm
September 23rd: OPIRG Consensus Based Decision Making workshop @Sadleir House 6-8pm

Divestment
-TQC and TrentU figure skating endorsements
-debate with Trent Conservatives to be planned
-awaiting on formal letter
-divestment 101 workshop to happen soon

Municipal Election
-make sure to register to vote on City of Peterbrough website
-look up candidate in ward, spread word

Food Justice
-working group

Funding request:
Sister in Spirit-$500 approved

Other
-ST rep for Peoples Climate March in NYC-ST reps going to NYC!!!
-Growing Cities screening Oct 24th
-Disruption film screening
-ST social night, restaurant, etc.?
-Sadleir house booking
-Bike for Save the Arctic campaign
-Colleen to sell coffee with Dans coffee outside-help needed

Agenda Sept. 23, 2014

Go around
Acknowledge land
Appoint Minute Taker

Report Back
Purple Onion Festival/Climate Change Rally/Painted Rain Barrel Contest
New York?
Bata Library display case
SAFS meeting & greet
Student activist assembly

Events
September 23rd: OPIRG Consensus Based Decision Making workshop @Sadleir House 6-8pm
September 28th: Town Ward candidate meeting. The candidates will be stationed on King St between Boswell Ave and Elias Ave and will meet and greet anybody from Town Ward.

Divestment
Fossil Fuel divestment national convergence Montreal November 22-24
OPIRG divestment week-pub night at Sadleir debate with Trent Conservatives
Faculty signatures?
Still awaiting on formal letter

Municipal Election
Meeting the candidates day October 6th-working on it

Other
New signing authority for cheques
Vandana Shiva

Minutes – Sept. 23/14

Attendance: Calvin, Katrina, Tom, Michael, Daniel, Jasmine, Jelena, Colleen, Ana, Sarah, Sarah, Erin, Katie, Will, Becka
Assign Minute taker
Acknowledge the land
Reports Back
Purple Onion festival – not sure on results, decent turnout
New York – No one attended, Rockefeller divestment
Display Case
Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems meeting – request for volunteers to help with the bee hives on campus
Student Activist Assembly – no one attended

OPIRG Consensus Workshop – Sept 23 – 6-8pm Sadlier House
Municipal Candidates Meeting – Sept 28 – King St.
Municipal Candidates Debates – Sept 24, 7pm – Lions Club
– Oct. 9, 630pm – Venue

Divestment National Convergence – Nov. 22-24 – Montreal
OPIRG Divestment Week – end of January
– Requesting partnership
– Divestment debate
– Pub night – Jan 29th
Divestment still waiting for formal letter, gaining endorsements through letters

Food Justice – Student affairs approved funding for work study group for sustainability food systems
(check Trent job board)
– Requesting a qualitative research group to look at Chartwells
– Fair trade coffee day Sept. 24th

Movie Day – “Students of Goliath” – Sept. 30, 6-9pm
– Calvin to book a room
– Potluck

Bringing election Candidates to Campus – Oct. 6
– Half day for everyone, half day for Northcrest specifically
– Setting up registration posts in residences

Vandana Shiva – Nov. 16
– KWIC, Dan Legaut, Trent heading this up
– Request for funding, they have 5000$ still needed
Jackson Park – moonlight walk – Oct. 8th
Ucycle
-encouraging cycling
-contest, compete for most KM cycled
-biking to certain business’ gives a discount
-UCYCLE.CA

Cheque Writers, need to replace two who graduated
– Motioned proposed to have Calvin, Erin, Colleen as cheque writers
– Motion passed
Ice Ride – registered ride with Greenpeace
– Will work on collaborating with community groups to organize
KWIC open house – Sept 24, 11am-2pm

Waste Audits around campus proposal -> paper making workshop

Lug-a-mug – start up soon (preferably 1st week of October)
– Need to contact Dan Legaut

Agenda Sept. 30, 2014

Appoint Minute Taker
Go around
Acknowledge land

Events:
October 4th Sisters in Spirit March @Confederation Park 3pm
October 6th David Suzuki Blue Dot Tour Virtual Classroom:

Our Food Systems –Are you Hungry for Change? @LEC Pit 12-1:30pm
This virtual lecture will include the following distinguished environmental and food systems experts for a critical review of the current state of our food systems and looking forward for positive change.
David Suzuki, Co-Founder of the David Suzuki Foundation, is an award-winning scientist, environmentalist and broadcaster.
J.B. MacKinnon has won numerous national and international awards for journalism. As the originator of the 100-mile diet concept, he appears regularly in Canada and the USA as a speaker and commentator on ecology and food.??
Utcha Sawyers, With over 15 years of devotion to social justice activism work within communities of colour and low-income communities both locally and internationally, Utcha Sawyers brings to the table a pollinated grassroots approach to the ever growing Food Justice and Food Sovereignty movement that has been building momentum over Toronto’s food action movement.

October 6th City Councilor meet & greet @Great Hall 2-9pm
Volunteers needed
October 7th Gathering of the Greens @Sadlier House 7:30pm
October 8th Students & Goliath film screening 6-9pm GCS 110
October 9th Op Wallea
On Thursday, October 9th at 2:30pm in LHSB D212, Dr. Justin Hines of the
field research organization Operation Wallacea will be giving a presentation
about opportunities available for students next summer. Choice of location
includes the cloud forests and coral reefs of Honduras, the lush tropical
rainforest and immense coral reefs of Indonesia, the rivers and estuaries of
the Peruvian Amazon, the bush of northeastern South Africa, and the coral
reefs of Cuba.
Opportunities include:
* Learning to dive on an uninhabited tropical island among world
class coral reefs
* Jungle trekking in pristine unsurveyed rainforests seeking out
species new to science
* Working on sustainable community development projects with the
locals (Indonesia, Honduras)
* Surveying river dolphins, manatees, uakari and spider monkeys and
macaws along the Peruvian Amazon
* Performing big game surveys and assessing bush habitat (South
Africa)
October 9th Mayoral Debate @The Venue 6:30pm-9:30pm
October 10th Environmental Advisory Board meeting 9-10am AJM Smith Room
Need ST rep
November 16th Vandana Shiva

Divestment
-new endorsement from TUNA
-BOG meeting October 3rd Best Western Otonabee Inn at 1pm; need someone from ST to be there
-formal letter
-TUPS rejected

Fossil Fuel divestment convergance
The fossil fuel divestment movement is building. Around the world, tens of thousands of students are mobilizing to take a stand against fossil fuel industries. In Canada, there are already nearly thirty divestment campaigns on university and college campuses, from coast to coast. From November 7th-9th we will be holding the first ever Fossil Free Canada Convergence in Montreal, Quebec.

We’ll bring together students from campuses across to take the fossil fuel divestment movement in Canada to the next level. With dynamic speakers, skills trainings, planning sessions and workshops, we’ll create the capacity for strong collective action against tar sands, pipelines, and fracking. We’ll focus on the importance of divestment to the broader climate justice movement and ensure we are building a movement that supports the struggles of communities at the frontlines.??Working on a divestment campaign already? Gearing up to launch one? You should be in Montreal from November 7th-9th to be a part of building this movement to help dismantle the fossil fuel industry and create a transition to a clean and just energy economy. ??Keynote speakers include Crystal Lameman, member of the Beaver Lake Cree Nation, Treaty No. 6, and Climate & Energy Campaigner for the Sierra Club Prairie Chapter in Alberta. More speakers and trainings to be announced soon.

This is a joint project led by the Canadian Youth Climate Coalition and support by the Concordia Student Union, and the Student Society of McGill University.

Food Justice
ST food committee rep

Municipal Election
-Maryam Monsef opposes Parkway extension
-list of Candidates who oppose Parkway out by FoJP

TUPS/OPIRG tabling
One of the primary ways that we are trying to reach out to students is through a presence on campus. During the week of October 6th-10th from 11am-3pm, we are going to have two tables set up on campus: one in the Athletic Centre lobby, and the other in Bata. The primary goal of these tables is to help students get on the voters list in Peterborough. The tables will also provide information about the role of municipal governments, the candidates, and key issues in Peterborough.
We are looking for volunteers to be present and provide information at these tables. In addition to promoting voting, volunteers would aid in students in signing up to vote. If you are interested in volunteering at one of these tables, please reply to this email with times between 11am-3pm on October 6-10th that you would be available. With that information we will be able to create a schedule to circulate back to you with the exact times and location.
TUPS is providing an information session for anyone interested in volunteering at these tables. We ask that, if possible, volunteers attend one of the offered times for an info session so that accurate and consistent information can be provided. These info sessions will be offered on Tuesday, September 30th from 2-3pm in GCS 103, and Thursday, October 2nd from 9-10am in CCN K1. If you are interested in volunteering, but are not available either of these times, please do not hesitate to contact us regarding alternate arrangements.

Student Centre
As many of you are probably aware, the Student Centre that was proposed in the spring of 2013 is finally moving forward. Many, if not all, of you will have felt the space crunch on campus as office space becomes non-existent, event space becomes harder to get and your ability to communicate with students becomes limited by disappearing advertisement space. With the creation of new student owned and operated space comes the opportunity to develop space for the groups that so greatly enrich student life on campus. As we get ready to enter the design phase of the building we are in the perfect time to consider the needs of all student groups so that we always have them in the forefront of our minds.
Some questions to consider:
How can the space benefit you? What can we put in the building to make your goals easier? What space would you like (office, event, workspace, meeting space)? Are there any services that we currently do not offer that you think we can integrate into the building that will assist you?

Jackson Park event

Minutes September 30, 2014

Calvin, Erin, Daniel, Katie, Jasmine, Jelena, Kortney, Abby, Anastasia, Eric, Colleen, Taylor, Becca,
Michael

Saturday October 4th
· Sisters in Spirit March/ HOTT: Confederation Park

Monday October 6th
· 12-1:30pm David Suzuki : LEC Pit
· 2-5pm City Council Meeting Bill Templeman : Great Hall

Tuesday October 7th
· 7:30pm : Sadlier House

Thursday October 9th
· Mayoral Debate 6:30-9:30: Venue

Operation WALEA?
· Credit
· Peru, S.Africa
· Presentation coming soon
November 16th
· Vandana Shiva

October Wednesday 8th OPIRG
· 7pm-9pm: Sadlier House
· City hall 101 (How to influence municipal politics, awareness, what you can do, etc)

Eric:
· To form a committee representing the Students and what we want to see from Chartwells
· Community and Sustainable Rep
· Chartwells:

o Proposition formation for Chartwells
o Sustainability coordinator from Colleges, TCSA Enviro. Commissioner
o What we want to see changed
o Increasing locally sourced?

Ana:
Works with KWIC, ERS coordinator
Thursday October 2nd, 4:30-6:30 Volunteer coordination for Vandana Shiva, other Kwic events throughout year. volunteers@kwic.info

Calvin:
ST Social
Film Screening

Bike Summit Saturday October 4th, 2014

Fossil Fuel Divestment Convergence
November 7th-9th
Montreal
Organizing starts next week! (October 7th)

Moonlight Walk
Wed Oct 8th @ 9pm
Purpose: bring people to Jackson Park
Prep for the debate the following day
Possible FoodNotBombs catering
Blankets, Jars needed

TUPS – Oct 6th-10 9-10am
Table in AC and Bata
Need volunteers
Tabling to get students registered
Info Sessions Oct 2nd CCN K1
Student Centre
TCSA wants to know what we think
“How can this space benefit us?”
“What space would you like: Office, study room, work space, meeting space?”
What we want—Storage room/space, event spaces, meeting space, bottle filling station, bike racks/shelters, bike fix-it station, student run food service
Friday 1pm Best Western Otonabee Inn
Board of Governors meeting
Possible discussion of Divestment
Becca and Jelena are going

Private FB group for ST members

The ONLY Social 9pm Tonight

Minutes Nov. 11, 2014

Climate Change Warning Labels
– Was great!
– May start campaign here at Trent soon (possibly in collaboration with “For Your Grandchildren”)
-emailed Calvin about meeting on that
-more info to come

Montreal Convergence
– Lots of workshops
– Campaign ideas, promotion
– Shared with universities across Canada, few from US
– Divestment-Specific Meeting FRIDAY at 3
– Work on Faculty Open Letter for Petition Signatures
– Timeline on website to show campaign progress
– People who went to Montreal to write 500 word piece about the weekend

Divestment
– Calvin wants to meet with Leo Groake

– Endorsed by TUNA, Ray Dart (Business), and more
– Open letters will be discussed more on Friday’s meeting

OPIRG
– Art for Activism
– Thursday Nov 13th, 9pm – Sadlier House
– Calvin will be playing

Vandana Shiva
-Sunday Nov 16th, 11am
-Elders panel Gathering space 1-4pm
– no ticket needed for Elders panel

Nov 17th, 11am Wenjack
– GE Foods discussion

Active Minds
– Tori Silvera would like to collaborate with ST for some events

“Growing Cities”
-Nov. 26, Film Screening – 7pm
-Taylor will provide us with location and URL on ST group
– Urban agriculture/ sprawl, etc.
-Need to register – free

Minutes, November 18, 2014

Present: Calvin, Taylor, Justin, Jasmine, Abby, Andrew, Michael, Michelle

Vandana Shiva Report Back:
– Very empowering speaker, but how do we spread the message to wider social circles that are new to these ideas/movements

Events:
-Guest Speaker that is significantly involved in Line Nine Activism:
-date?
-science complex 203

Food Service open forums by TCSA
-Nov. 24, 3-5pm OC
-Nov. 25, 3-5pm Gzowski

Board of Governors Meeting
– Dec. 5, Time?
– try to have a consistent ST/ student body presence

Next week tuesday/wednesday night meeting at The Only…for Divestment Working group and also ST social.

Taylor going to further inform ST about Bioblitz of cataloguing Ash and Buckthorn trees for management, looking at the potential of replacing them with food trees for students

Divestment Working Group:

-making google doc for group, check off list of what they said

-faculty signatures needed for open letter
-Andrew getting Prof opinion list on reasons why they would not sign to divest
-Michael and Andrew potentially going to TCSA meeting to propose to them the open letter on Sunday
-brainstorm as group about how to deal with Profs that dont want to sign that are worried about pension removal
-Everyone is assigned their profs to talk to about signing open letter
-Everyone was assigned different groups/businesses/society’s for endorsement letter

Conatcted Leo Groarke (president of trent) about Divestment Campaign, replied quickly and said that it is going to be a frequent topic of conversation at board meetings, he is not sure if it is a necessary path for the university to take at this time, but is willing to meet with Calvin/ST in new year to discuss this….encouraging 🙂

Climate Change Warning Labels:
Ryan Lamoreaux who was at the climate change warning label meeting suggested that:
-ST hosts a talk in early Feb
-posters with your logo on it
-getting a lecture hall
-advertise in student paper about the talk
-tabling in student union building
-talk to city staff…may voice concerns about jurisdiction
-try to get most of student body to come
-Make a 10 min pitch at city hall with time for Q and A, to get it on their agenda for an eventual decision.
**create working group for this idea

Minutes November 25, 2014

In Attendance: Calvin, Andrew, Michael, Becca, Michelle J, Tori, Katrina, Anastasia, Kortney, Abbey, Daniel, Colleen, Jasmine, Michelle, Shelley

Divestment
· Phil Abbott has been approached, TBSA will be on Sunday
· Working group meeting TBA
· Calvin meeting with Braydon from TCSA tomorrow (Wed Nov 26)
· Working group with OPIRG Wed Nov 26 to plan Divestment Week (January)/Anti-Apartheid Week

o Banner drop and a march?
o Keynote speaker, panel, New Extractivism-Digging our way out
o Possible Pub Night (Wine and Dine theme) End of January

Gas Warning Labels
· Have potential supporters/ city councillors speak with Rob Shirkey about campaign
· Maybe think about this over the winter break
· For Our Grandchildren (PTBO organization) will attempt to speak with Bennet (Mayor)

ReFrame Festival (January 23rd-25th)
· How should ST support them?
o Money goes towards screening fees, costs associated with festival
o Sponsorships apply to all films, but we can choose to pick specific film(s) to sponsor/introduce.
o Just Eat It; Living on the Edge; Family Farm are all films that touch on ST-related themes/issues
o ST sponsorships of $200 for each of the above mentioned films, as well as a $200 general sponsorship for the event = $800 Sponsorship

§ APPROVED

Trent Active Minds (Tori)
o Mental Health Advocacy Group
o 4 annual events – planning 2nd event (tentative: January 30th)
o Symposium would include feeding people, interactive workshops, talks from various program Profs, college heads will be running their own events
§ Is anyone from ST interested in running an event?
· Colleen suggests a tree ID workshop
· Perhaps a hike that highlights the mental health benefits to being in Nature
§ As many workshops as we’d like to run, but at least two are suggested to give students options
o Art Gala event in March (21st?)
o Lets Talk Event
o No Stress Day

Active Minds has Talking Circles every other week (Next is in December—Tori will get us the date) to express mental health and discussion: Very relieving!
-Tues Dec 2nd, Outside wenjack 12pm-4:30
Cookies and compliments! Be there!
Movie night that night as well—LEC Pit

ST End of Year Social
§ Potluck?
§ Night of the week TBD: Will figure out on FB group

LUG-A-MUG
Posters?
Shelley will get Colleen her poster from a couple years ago

Minutes January 21st, 2015

Attendance: Kortney, Abbey, Becca, Joey, Michael, Alyssa, Taylor, Ana, Lauren, Justin, Colleen, Calvin

Topics of Discussion:
1. REFRAME
Just Eat It – Colleen will be introducing (** reminder to include KWIC and Sustainable Trent)
Family Farm – Ana will be introducing
http://reframefilmfestival.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/2015_ReFrame_FilmFestival_Schedule.pdf
http://reframefilmfestival.ca/films/2015/

2. Peterborough Examiner Article – Divestment Campaign Poster
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2015/01/19/campaign-looks-more-like-an-attack-on-israel
Change the narrative, apology for the misunderstanding but not the usage of the flag?
Going forward – Overwrite the Israeli flag on our Banner to drop to “Israeli Apartheid”, contact OPRIG to respond to the newspaper articles, contact OPRIG to change Facebook Event cover photo (perhaps

3. Divestment Week
Monday – Banner drop at 9am, Film Screening 5:30pm Lady Eaton Pit
Tuesday – Workshop with Canadian Mining Awareness 5:30 GC345, Debate at 7pm Gzowski Gathering Space
Wednesday – Discussion on Boycott Divestment 5-7pm Champlain Learning Commons
Thursday – Keynote Speaker 7-9pm Sadlier House, followed by pub night social, [Drop Chevron’s Dirty Hand banner]
Friday – Rally on Campus 2pm LEC Entrance during BOG meeting

4. Divestment working Group Meeting Friday at 3pm in KWIC
Colleen making Carbon bubbles Sunday night

5. Food Services Sustainability Working Group – contact Ana/Taylor/Michael if interested in the Waste Audit (sorting through garbage next week FEBRUARY Tues 3rd, Wed 4th, Thursday 5th) VOTED TO GIVE THEM $50

6. New Extractivism Weekend – Annual IDST Community Movement – 15$ for 5 meals, Sadlier house, PCVS, Trail

7. Ash Tree Inventory January 31st 9-4pm, Meet in the CRYPT

8. Kortney’s New Sticker for Divest From Fossil Fuels awaiting approval!

Minutes February 4, 2015

In attendance: Andrew, Alyssa, Becca, Kortney, Michael, Jasmine, Abby, Anastasia, Justyn, Colleen, Calvin

Funding Requests:

Trent Market Garden – (2) Student Positions
-seeking $2000 ST funding
-SAFS Society initiative
-Locally grown organic produce for sale to Chartwells at Standard Market price
-Aim to create 2 student jobs (Which requires funding) to work garden (full-time & part-time)
-VOTE: APPROVED

Global Youth Day
-seeking $1000 ST funding
-Funding for 12th annual conference
-Thursday May 7th @ PCVS
-VOTE: APPROVED

Black History Month
-seeking ST funding to cover cost of honorariums, fees, etc.
-Film screening, workshops, events, school visits
-proposed funding amount: $300, $500
-VOTE: $500 APPROVED

Transition Town Peterborough
-volunteer group
-working at decreasing reliance on fossil fuels
-APPROVED $500 funding request

Divestment Week
-Pub Night Pizza, Sticker printing
-Reimbursement approved

Food Service Sustainability Committee
-currently working on College Waste Audit/Competition
-goal to reduce waste consumption, increase correct waste diversion
-Changing POS button at Chartwells to offer a $0.69 reduction of drink costs if a reusable mug is brought
-“Permanent” Lug-A-Mug-type campaign, in collaboration with ST
– Seeking ~$1500 – $2000 funding
-also speaking to other groups, such as TCSA to seek funding
-“Left-over” funding to be carried over next year
– Funding Request Letter to be presented at future ST meeting

– Kortney and Becca want to re-vamp our Sustainable Trent display board in Otonabee College
-More current, eye-catching
-Will bring ideas next meeting

DAVID SUZUKI!
DAVID SUZUKI IS ENDORSING OUR DIVESTMENT CAMPAIGN!
-Replied to Colleen’s letter sent in November

– Dianne Therrien (Councillor – Town Ward) also endorses our Divestment Campaign

-Time to prepare for a Board of Governors’ answer to our call for Divestment

Feb 13th
Global Divestment Day
Theme: Breaking Up with Fossil Fuels

Perhaps we should contact BOG members individually to find out their personal stance on the subject

Next week Divestment Working Group
-Faculty open letter
-more endorsements
-etc

Minutes Feb. 25, 2015

Attendance:
Kortney, Becca, Michael, Taylor, Abbey, Jasmine, Colleen, Anastasia, Calvin, Anisah

Points of Interest:
1. Truly Be Me @ The Seasoned Spoon (Thursdays – 4:30pm yoga, 6pm food, followed by meditation and sharing)
2. Event– Traditional Teachings tonight at 6, Gathering Space
3. OPRIG AGM – Thursday at Sadlier – 6pm Scott House Room 105 (free meal included, keynote speaker)
4. Funding Proposal: Dan Legault for Indigenous Farming Conference, Minnesota USAà will return with information, seed and a presentation
– Asking for $500 ($150 registration, $150 lodging, flight)
– Really dedicated to sustainable food systems, Trent experimental garden, Peterborough food market stand, food services sustainability committee, season spoon workshops etc.
– VOTE: YES FOR $500
5. Funding Proposal: Lug-a-Mug Campaign & Subsidy
– Asking for $1825 to support coverage for .29 cents per cup sold (Chartwells covering .40 cents per cup sold) which equals $1750 for the subsidy and $75 for promotional materials
– Promote reusable and sustainable beverage consumption
– VOTE: YES FOR $1825

6. Get a balance for our Sustainable Trent Account** for next week
7. Lug-a-Mug Campaign Promotion – addition to the website, posters, #trentlugs, Colleen’s baby posters, make sure all advertisement excludes Tim Horton’s and Starbucks, lecture announcements, promotion of the waste challenge, article or advertisement spot in the Arthur, Facebook
8. Divestment Campaign
– Faculty Open Letter: approximately 45 signatures, editorial to be in this week’s Arthur, attempt to get mainstream media attention, contact the CBC once we’ve hit 50
– Discussing the potential to exclude pension, discuss partial-divestment,
– Faculty referendum for just endowment divestment (we would need to present at Trent Faculty Association meeting March 13th 1-3pm),
– Alumni contact and circulation of presentation
9. Waste Challenge – competition between the collages (challenge March 16th) too…
– Reduce overall amount of resources/waste
– Improve the streaming/separation of putting resources/waste in their proper place (more of an educational exercise)
10. TCSA Farmers Market Discount

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

A volunteer-run student organization at Trent University that advocates and takes action for environmental justice and sustainability.

%d bloggers like this: